Salut! I'm Layla, author of this blog. I write about beauty and fashion but also try to add in some different posts every once in awhile to break it up. I have a twitter and a youtube which I'll post links to. Be sure to follow me on twitter and subscribe to my youtube. Enjoy the blog! (: http://www.youtube.com/user/foreverachild03
Follow foreverachild03 on Twitter


About Me

My photo
I'm a girl who is interested in the usual things... makeup, hair, skincare, boys, tanning (no sun! obviously (: ) and the not so usual... geography ( I can be handed a blank map of Europe and name every country... yes, even Czechoslovakia ), spelling, drawing, swimming, philosophy, Greek mythology, history, and traveling. I decided to get this blog to kill time and I hope it's fun. Let's cross our fingers!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Review: Maybelline FitMe Foundation

Ok, let me start out quick and simple. I HATE HATE HATE Maybelline for making foundations. Now onto the actual review.

Maybelline's Claim:

"Let's the real you come through. This foundation is beyond matching: Fresh, breathing, natural skin with SPF 18."

They also claim you'll love it because it's:

"It's makeup that fits you."

Then they include this list (of absolute nonsense)
  • No oils, no waxes, no nonsense
  • Natural coverage that leaves skin the way it was meant to be…fresh, breathing, natural  
  • Exclusive translucent base and lightweight pigments allow skin's natural highs and lows to show through
  • Non-comedogenic, dermatologist-tested
When I first tried out this foundation, I loved it. It was everything I was looking for. It was light, smooth, natural looking, dewy, and brilliant. But that night, we started having issues just like a couple who has just come out of their honeymoon phase. I had FIVE breakouts that I didn't have that morning! I hadn't changed anything else in my routine. It had to be the foundation that was causing this. I NEVER have more than one breakout at a time, if I even have one, which is rare. I have normal skin, no oily areas, no dry areas, and I am the farthest thing from breakout prone. Plus, I never react badly to any products. So, like any beauty junkie does, I began my research. My first stop was the Maybelline website. Now, this claims to be non-comedogenic (fancy shmancy talk for won't clog your pores), to have no oils or waxes, and to let your skin breathe. I was absolutely puzzled! If this foundation had none of the common red flags (like containing mineral oil, or not say it's non-comedogenic) then why am I breaking out?! Are my teenage hormones flaring up or something?! For reassurance, I logged onto youtube and started watching reviews. Every review I watched included the words, "this foundation broke me out". So, I figured, it's the foundation, and stopped using it. My blemishes disappeared within two days after discontinuing the use of the product. Since then I've been breakout free.

Now, this experience wasr oughly a month ago, so why am I just now writing a review? Well, about a week ago my mom asked if she could use it. I warned her that it had caused me to break out and she told me that it was probably a coincidence and to hand over the makeup. I simply said, "tell me when you breakout". Surely enough, she comes to me a few days later and says eight glorious words. She said, "You were right about the fit me." YES! Told you! After that I was positive it was a horrible foundation and that I could spread the word not to waste your 8 dollars on this.

So, bottom line, DO NOT purchase this foundation. Product photos below.

Review breakdown:

Maybelline's claim:
This foundation is breathable, lightweight, and is no nonsense when it comes to ingredients.

PROS:
  • Lightwieght
  • Natural
  • Glowy

CONS:
  • BREAKS EVERYBODY AND THEIR GRANDMAMA OUT.
  • Fades after roughly 4 hours
  • Settles into fine lines and wrinkles
Ratings:
Packaging- 4 out of 5 stars *****
          ~Sleek.
Wear- 1 out of 5 stars *****
          ~fades after 4-6 hours.
Initial look- 4 out of 5 stars *****
          ~Dewy, natural, & nice.
Price- 4 out of 5 stars *****
          ~$6-$8 The only foundation cheaper that I know of is Covergirl Aquasmoothers. (Amazing!)
End of the day look- 0 out of 5 stars *****
          ~Foundation was almost gone, had settled into pores, and had caused breakouts!
Look of skin after use- 0 out of 5 stars *****
          ~Horrendous! Had caused 5 major breakouts!
SPF- 3 out of 5 stars *****
          ~Has more than 15, but not the recommended 30. Average.
Shade selection- 5 out of 5 stars *****
          ~18 shades, from 110 to 335. Note: shade 110 is only carried in Walmart stores.
Overall- 1 out of 5 stars *****
          ~The pros outweigh the cons.


Product Photo:


Note: I purchased the shade 110: porcelain.

Links:

Maybelline's FitMe page: http://www.maybelline.com/products/92/face/foundation/fit-me-foundation/ivory/115?shadeId=494&cm_mmc=LabeliumSearch-_-GoogleBrand-_-MNY+Face-_-fit%20me%20foundation


 -Avec l'amour de Layla

No comments:

Post a Comment